Welcome

I'm not blogging here any longer, and I'm afraid I probably won't pick up on any new comments either. I'm now blogging at The Evangelical Liberal but I'm leaving these old posts up as an archive.

Wednesday 15 December 2010

Christmas story - A shepherd's carol

Some of you may have already read this short yarn last year, in which case I can only say - why not read it again? Christmas is after all the time for re-runs and repeats. ;-)

Or else have a look at my other recent Christmassy contributions:
A Christmas carol
Merry Christmas... bah humbug

A shepherd's carol

The most terrible happenings last week – terrible; I still can’t speak about it… the dead of night, all those little ones, and their mothers and dads looking on helpless as those cruel soldiers strike down like wolves on lambs, Yahweh have mercy… I can’t bear to think about it. Terrible, terrible happenings. Such loss, such horror, such barbarity, and for what? For what? Things round these parts won’t be the same for many a long lambing.

And yet, and yet... there was that other night, two years back now, and nothing that happens can change that. Strange things happened that night, wonderful things beyond explanation. The brutality of kings and Caesars is nothing new to these parts, heaven knows, but this – this was something not heard of in all the ages. Thinking about it again gives me hope... helps ease the hurt...

Read the full story

1 comment:

  1. Ello Harvey my friend. Now I know where you blog I will hunt you down!

    These posts are excellent! About time you got writing. I am excited about the idea of the Evangelical Liberal - great description. I sometimes wonder whether evangelicalism needs a bit of rediscovery before it gets taken over by those neo-calvinist/young Reformed and restless bunch!

    You have made a follower out of me!

    Simon Hardwick

    ReplyDelete