Welcome

I'm not blogging here any longer, and I'm afraid I probably won't pick up on any new comments either. I'm now blogging at The Evangelical Liberal but I'm leaving these old posts up as an archive.

Friday 15 January 2010

Selfless Genes and Zennish Prophets

I've just finished Charles Foster's The Selfless Gene: Living with God and Darwin. I was expecting a straightforward Christian defence of theistic evolution, but what emerged was both more fascinating and more frustrating and raised as many questions as it set out to answer. Read my review here.

Unrelatedly, except that I was given them both for Christmas, I've also just finished Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Profound spiritual genius or meaningless New-Agey nonsense wrapped up in impenetrably poetic prose? In this it reminded me strongly of Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist and also of William Nicholson's Wind on Fire and Seeker trilogies. Maybe I've still got too much evangelical baggage to be able to handle books which mix up Christianity, Buddhism and Islam quite so freely (though I loved Life of Pi).

No comments:

Post a Comment