Welcome

I'm not blogging here any longer, and I'm afraid I probably won't pick up on any new comments either. I'm now blogging at The Evangelical Liberal but I'm leaving these old posts up as an archive.

Thursday 22 April 2010

Goodbye Basil

Basil Jeffery, a friend from church and fellow blogger, died yesterday of cancer. He was 48. He leaves a wife and two daughters all of whom, in his words, he loved 'dearly and everlastingly'. He also leaves an unfinished blog at It's Not All Fun You Know.

I'm sorry to say I didn't get to know him as well as I'd have liked. I'll remember his enjoyment of U2 and his deep and compassionate interest in the Middle East. But chiefly I'll remember his ready humour which you can see straight away just by looking at his blog, and which characterised how he coped with the cancer that cruelly robbed him of health and finally life.

Basil was a big man in every sense, and a brave one.

Basil -
May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
May the rains fall soft upon your fields,
And, until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.


Go with God, Bas.

No comments:

Post a Comment